Pages

Monday 26 December 2011

Learning Guitar

My daughter, the Bean, has been asking for a guitar for some time now and Kate and I thought this would be a good time to get her one with the condition that she take lessons and practice regularly.  So, she had a nice half-size acoustic under the Christmas tree and she is excited. 

Her uncle has bought her some books and I like the thinking he put into choosing them:  one to teach her the chords, another with songs and a final book that teaches her how to write music for her own songs.  She seems already to be taking her study seriously, sitting down last night with the book to learn her chords.  So I am encouraged.

I've decided that I will go out this week and buy myself a guitar and sign up for some lessons with her.  I'm hoping that we wil motivate each other to keep up with our practice.  I've got some good advice on what to buy from some people I trust - Mr. Conspiracy, Maestro Joe and my nephew Mr. Hockey, Kev (A Yamaha seems to be the emerging consensus).  Indeed, I have a number of nephews who wield an axe and look forward to seeing them again in a while and maybe jammin' a bit.  Ditto for my brother-in-law, who is not Mr. Hockey but is also a Kev.

It is this kind of project that I had in mind when I started this blog and I look forward to keeping you posted on the Bean's and my progress.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. You should look into the video game RockSmith. You hook up a real guitar to it and it is really helpful at getting you to learn songs. I self taught myself and had planned to take lessons, but never got around to it. It's still something I'd like to do. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennee. I'll look for it. Having a young daughter pestering me to take lessons and practice will help, too.

    ReplyDelete